Saturday 23 January 2016

Am I a maker? Maker mindsets need apply.


Am I a maker?

Truth be told, when I was first asked to answer this question as part of my #EDUC5199 course, my immediate response was... no. No, no, nodedy, no, NO!

We run a makerspace in our library learning commons at school and I immediately compared myself to our students. And there is no way that I am as talented as they are...I mean...I can only dream about understanding what the heck they are talking about half the time.  And I felt guilty about that. Why can't I make like them?

Let's take my daughter as another example. She's always making stuff. Out of anything! And she's particularly most pleased when we get cardboard boxes. While her brother is playing Minecraft she's making....stuff.

When did I loose my excitement for making just for the joy of it? When did I become so concerned about what I could and couldn't do? Am I projecting this sub-consciously to the students I teach?

Clearly I am in need of a new maker mindset.

After some more reflection I realized that this wasn't the case. I am a MAKER....just of a different kind.

I make movies and visual aids to differentiate for the needs of my students in order to reach and teach them. If I get inspired by a speaker, or if there is something important I want to say I make an infographic on Canva and tweet it out. Whew...feeling better now.

And I can make some of the things my students are making ... I just have ... a different entry point. Recently I gave up learning how to knit using needles and have discovered finger and arm knitting. I was pleasantly pleased with my first two attempts...and just bought a few more balls of yarn to try my next project.

Attempt #1 

(See? Why did I say attempt?!!? This is something I MADE!!)


Makerproject Extraordinaire  #2


I am a maker.

I can do things.

I can show our students that it's ok to not know, it's ok to make mistakes, it's ok to learn and and that we can go through this together to re-discover making simply for the joy of it.

Because if we're all together in this .... who knows what we can do next!

Next step...get my son to teach me more about Minecraft.

 I.
CAN.
DO.
THIS.


(This one is just because I love Star Wars :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post Melanie! I feel the same way about "making". Perhaps it is something in the way we were taught or experienced failure as students??? The best we can d now is to help our students to realize the value in failure and recognize that failure is essential to learning and essential to success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, super post Melanie. I was just thinking the same thing while writing my reflection, "Why do we place so much emphasis on the final product, instead of just having fun with the process?" This course has definitely opened my eyes to the importance of tinkering, playing and making...while having fun doing it!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete